You're not even close to seeing what's happening here...

Unless you're a signed-in community member, you're only seeing the tip of the iceberg within our CXR Community.  These posts and categories visible to you are open to public viewing while countless other resources, member benefits, and conversations are available only to signed-in members.

Current members should sign in
If you're not a current member and are interested in seeing if you qualify for membership, click here.

Mind and Body - how are you staying fit and focused?

Chris Hoyt
Chris Hoyt PresidentCareerXroadsAdministrator, CXR Team Member Community Vigilante

It's not a secret that a few years ago I lost ~65lbs. I did this through mindful meditation, moderate cardio, a basic workout plan, and the self-discipline to no longer eat an entire bag of Doritos in one sitting.

With all of us working from home and gyms being closed - or just not feeling safe - I've been occasionally riding a Peloton, doing some yoga, and trying to run (when the air quality isn't orange due to fires.)

Today, a Tonal that I ordered MONTHS ago is being delivered and installed. So I'm hopeful this will get me back into the gym habit that I've been removed from for ~5 months now.

But I'm wondering what others in here are doing... virtual workouts? home yoga classes? your own homemade gym? fancy equipment?

Hey, @gcloughaarp-org I'm talking to you, sir!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Community Manager Evry1 Milliner Status

65lbs is amazing! I gained 30lbs when William was born at the start of the pandemic. I've lost 22lbs so far and I'd like to lose another 22lbs. I enlisted the help of a weight loss coach and started taking regular doses of vitamin B injections. The weight loss coach keeps me motivated. I know I have to report my weight every Friday. If I don't lose enough weight, she'll put me on a strict detox diet (2 eggs for breakfast, and 4-6 ounces of protein and raw green veggies for lunch and dinner).

My basic daily routine is:

Run/Walk 5 miles (I can't run for another 5 weeks)

Vegan Smoothie for Breakfast (berries, spinach, kale, vegan protein powder, almond milk, psyllium husk powder)

Turkey Wrap for lunch (carb balance spinach wrap, turkey slice, 1/2 slice of vegan cheese, a slice of tomato, mixed greens, diced avocado, sweet Thai chili sauce)

A vegan protein bar or 100 cal almond pack for a snack

Lots of protein and veggies for dinner!

What I like most about this routine is that I enjoy the food I eat, so it doesn't feel like a diet (unless I'm forced into the detox diet). Once or twice a week, I'll enjoy a cheat meal, but only if I've lost enough weight that week. I've avoided sugar and chips (my weakness) for five weeks and counting. I even got my husband Mark to join me and he's down 10lbs too.

I'm curious to hear what others are doing.

• Mary Brogan
    Mary Brogan Global Head of Talent Sourcing IntuitiveCXR Cohort Member Milliner Status

Soo I have gained weight over the last few years - I got remarried and I am very HAPPY! Both my hubby and I are rounder than we used to be. Soo we have started hiking - Colorado has some amazing trails - and we have started intermittent fasting. The approach is simple, we follow a 16:8 approach...no food only water, black coffee and/or tea during the 16 hours and eat healthy during the 8 hours. And finally, we just purchased a treadmill for the snowy days to follow.

Mary

• Chris Hoyt
    Chris Hoyt President CareerXroadsAdministrator, CXR Team Member Community Vigilante

65lbs is amazing! I gained 30lbs when William was born at the start of the pandemic. I've lost 22lbs so far and I'd like to lose another 22lbs. I enlisted the help of a weight loss coach and started taking regular doses of vitamin B injections. The weight loss coach keeps me motivated. I know I have to report my weight every Friday. If I don't lose enough weight, she'll put me on a strict detox diet (2 eggs for breakfast, and 4-6 ounces of protein and raw green veggies for lunch and dinner).

My basic daily routine is:

Run/Walk 5 miles (I can't run for another 5 weeks)

Vegan Smoothie for Breakfast (berries, spinach, kale, vegan protein powder, almond milk, psyllium husk powder)

Turkey Wrap for lunch (carb balance spinach wrap, turkey slice, 1/2 slice of vegan cheese, a slice of tomato, mixed greens, diced avocado, sweet Thai chili sauce)

A vegan protein bar or 100 cal almond pack for a snack

Lots of protein and veggies for dinner!

What I like most about this routine is that I enjoy the food I eat, so it doesn't feel like a diet (unless I'm forced into the detox diet). Once or twice a week, I'll enjoy a cheat meal, but only if I've lost enough weight that week. I've avoided sugar and chips (my weakness) for five weeks and counting. I even got my husband Mark to join me and he's down 10lbs too.

I'm curious to hear what others are doing.

Love it. I eat lots of protein and veggies and very little carbs if it can be helped.

I like the accountability factor, lol!

• Chris Hoyt
    Chris Hoyt President CareerXroadsAdministrator, CXR Team Member Community Vigilante

Soo I have gained weight over the last few years - I got remarried and I am very HAPPY! Both my hubby and I are rounder than we used to be. Soo we have started hiking - Colorado has some amazing trails - and we have started intermittent fasting. The approach is simple, we follow a 16:8 approach...no food only water, black coffee and/or tea during the 16 hours and eat healthy during the 8 hours. And finally, we just purchased a treadmill for the snowy days to follow.

Mary

You hear everyone talk about the COVID-19lbs but it's a real thing, lol.

I have put 9lbs back on since not being able to go to the gym. The good news is that the Tonal folks just got here and are installing my new home gym as I type this!!!!

• Barb Ruess
    Barb Ruess VP Operations CXRAdministrator, CXR Team Member Community Captain

Mary

I started intermittent fasting with the same approach this spring - right before COVID hit and I've just stuck with it. Between that and the very low carb diet we're following for my son, I'm feeling pretty good these days. I'm jealous of your Colorado hiking trails!! I'll think of you while I'm out hiking this week at the dunes :)

• grant-clough
    grant-clough Talent Acquisition Leader | Annandale, VA, USACXR Alumni Community VIP

I’m here for the fancy equipment suggestions Chris. You know I’m excited to hear what you think about the Tonal.

The last month with a new baby has thrown my self care regiment into chaos but I’ve recently trying to get back on track with daily dog walks, a running plan, intermittent fasting, and guided meditation.

Some tech I’ve been trying to use to help:

- Garmin Smart Watch: In January I updated my Fenix 3HR to the new Fenix 6X. The new version allows me to load music (no running with a phone), add workouts, and measure some new metrics (VO2 max, PulseOX)

- Pavlok Habit Trainer: I wear this from 9pm to Noon to encourage me not to break my intermittent fast.

- Aaptiv App: This app is cool because it has audio only workouts and guided meditations.

• Chris Hoyt

I’m here for the fancy equipment suggestions Chris. You know I’m excited to hear what you think about the Tonal.

The last month with a new baby has thrown my self care regiment into chaos but I’ve recently trying to get back on track with daily dog walks, a running plan, intermittent fasting, and guided meditation.

- Garmin Smart Watch: In January I updated my Fenix 3HR to the new Fenix 6X. The new version allows me to load music (no running with a phone), add workouts, and measure some new metrics (VO2 max, PulseOX)

- Pavlok Habit Trainer: I wear this from 9pm to Noon to encourage me not to break my intermittent fast.

- Aaptiv App: This app is cool because it has audio only workouts and guided meditations.

Oh I'll check out the watch! My Gear 3 wouldn't connect via bluetooth to the Tonal, unfortunately.

But I had my first workout last night.

Went easy as I haven't moved weights in months and the weights are not the same when magnet versus free.

Sumo deadlift, pull throughs, various stretches and moderate cardio. Was a surprisingly good workout.

Waiting on the bracket caps that my larger studs require and ordering a shelf for the equipment so that it's out of sight.

• grant-clough
    grant-clough Talent Acquisition Leader | Annandale, VA, USACXR Alumni Community VIP

Oh I'll check out the watch! My Gear 3 wouldn't connect via bluetooth to the Tonal, unfortunately.

But I had my first workout last night.

Went easy as I haven't moved weights in months and the weights are not the same when magnet versus free.

Sumo deadlift, pull throughs, various stretches and moderate cardio. Was a surprisingly good workout.

Waiting on the bracket caps that my larger studs require and ordering a shelf for the equipment so that it's out of sight.

You were a larger stud than Tonal expected?

That watch isn't the most compatible with other ecosystems (it's a fitness watch with smart capabilities as opposed to a smart watch with fitness features). One of my favorite things about it is that it doesn't have a touch screen and the crystal is indestructible.

• Barb Ruess
    Barb Ruess VP Operations CXRAdministrator, CXR Team Member Community Captain

Thanks for the tech recommendations... downloading the Aaptiv app now and excited to add some new workouts to my regular rotation!

• Chris Hoyt

You were a larger stud than Tonal expected?

That watch isn't the most compatible with other ecosystems (it's a fitness watch with smart capabilities as opposed to a smart watch with fitness features). One of my favorite things about it is that it doesn't have a touch screen and the crystal is indestructible.

Not sure about that but it certainly felt great to do deads again!

I'm on the hunt for something simple that will function as GPS when mountain bike riding (when the air gets better!) and heartrate for working out.

Also trying to find the best combination of macro and body composition tracking. Historically I've used UA's MyFitness, Arboleaf, etc. and funneled everything into Google Fit but it would be nice to just have everything in one place and no need to sync all the time.

It's a little crazy nobody's nailed this yet. I wonder why Tonal, Peloton, etc. don't use the open-source data for nutrition and just incorporate it into their ecosystems...

Categories